The Chapoutier family can trace their history in the Rhône region back to 1808, but it was in 1879 that Polydor Chapoutier bought his first vineyards and started the actual business. In the mid-20th century Max Chapoutier led the business until his retirement in 1977, after which his sons Michel Chapoutier and Marc Chapoutier took over. The decade of the 1980s saw quality improvements, under Michel Chapoutier’s leadership over the vineyards and winemaking facilities. By the late 1980s, Chapoutier had started to receive considerable international attention due to the quality of its wines.
M. Chapoutier today functions as a wine-making concern, as a negociant, and also as a partner in collaborative projects. Over the years, M. Chapoutier has acquired quite a few wine-making concerns, with properties in various countries such as France, Spain, Portugal, and others. When M. CHAPOUTIER acquires a new property, the company relies on those who created it but it also uses the company’s know-how to improve it further. In keeping with Michel’s strong guidance, a direction is given, a philosophy explained. The guiding principle is always to highlight the singularity of that particular terroir and add value to it.